Packing!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Hurghada, Sharm el Sheikh, Marsa Alam, El Gouna, Safaga and other parts of the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Cozdragon

Packing!

Post by Cozdragon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Now I know this is going to sound daft to you all adventurous souls...but it's stressing me so I'm asking!

I've not been travelling abroad for years and in six weeks I'm travelling to Hurghada on my own. Can't even begin to remember what I used to pack / need / want while I was away...or even what I'm allowed to take on the plane etc. I'll just add that I hate packing which really doesn't help!

Any hints or tips for a VERY rusty traveller? Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

Cx

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Loose clothing, all preferably light weight, cotton slacks shorts skirts tops,(tshirts are perfect) be carefull with the tops strappy are not a good plan in August as you are likely to burn quickly being so close to the sea.
Sun tan lotion and after sun is a good idea, high heels is not such a great plan but semi high are ok, sandals and flats are cool.
Couple of cossies.
Not sure about ya weight allowance but it should state it on your tickets or airline info, or you could let me know who is flying you and i will probably know the baggage allowance.
As you are a chilly mortal by nature you may want to pack a light weight Jacket for the evening and for when you fly back into UK.
Wouldnt bother packing towels as they are cheap as chips to buy at the shop on the beach at Guisum, Lee knows where it is, its where i got mine from................ again!!
Dont forget to pay attention to the restrictions on liquids at all airports, pack make up in your case only take powder make up in the cabin.
There are also restrictions on bottles water etc at some points in all airports but signs should be up to let you know.
If you are prone to deli belly wait until you are in Hurghada and get some Antenal from the pharmacy.
Do you retain fluid on your feet or any where for that matter , if you do get some aquaban or similar as its not comfy to fly with fat feet.
If you can think of nay thing i may have over looked let me know. ;)
Final thing i just thought of is that you dont have to pack loads of everything as laundry can be done while you are there and is cheap. :)

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Christine...god hadn't even thought about make up (that won't be a surprise to lee). So powder stuff is ok in the cabin but liquids have to go in the hold? is that the basic principle??

i'm going with Thomas Cook..so the hold allowance is 20kg...haven't thought about the hand luggage bit yet!

Cx

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 pm

any liquids (creams included!) and sharp items have to go in the hold. You're not supposed to take meds on the plane but I've not known anyone be stopped with them.

Suncream you can get here, don't bother with toothpaste etc if you want to keep the weight down - I have ;) can also supply towels.

sensible shoes for daytime, whatever you feel like for night but bear in mind that the streets are crap so you will most likely knacker any decent heels.

if you don't want to carry a jacket out, you can always get a cheap wrap or two to take back with you here.

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah i told her about liquids Lee, as far as meds go its never a problem if they are prescription meds, and your hand luggage weight for TC Coz is 5 kilo's :)

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:34 am

Why not get all your shampoo/conditioner/shower gel etc etc at the airport, airside, saves on baggage allowance. There is usually a Boots airside. I ususally buy one of their meal deals to take onboard with me too, instead of wasting however much it is for a crappy airline meal.
Wealth comes like a turtle and goes away like a gazelle. (Arabic proverb)

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:57 am

Hi Lisak,good plan ref meals they are getting worse and smaller and smaller, even tho they r more costly.
Coz u could even buy all of your toiletries in Hurghada, there is a pharmacy 15min walk away from where you are staying and they stock most everything :)

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Guys.

I had to book a meal in advance...and since i'm such a awkward cow I refused to pay 15 quid for something i couldn't eat! (Dairy intolerant non meat eater is a little confusing in this country...although i intend to be full of fish in egypt!) So thanks for the tip about boots meals...hadn't thought of that!

Do i take it they weigh your hand luggage at the desk and what happens after that doesn't count??? and excuse the stupidity..if you aren't allowed liquids in your hand luggage, how can you take shampoo etc on the plane?

Two other things...am i allowed a hand bag and hand luggage? and most importantly duty free - if there's the no liquid thing...do i buy it when i land? Cx

Cx

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 pm

You can't take liquids through customs into the airport - anything you buy once through the check-in is fine.

You can only have ONE piece of hand luggage - if you have a handbag it must be able to fit in the other peice of luggage which must then be able to close fully.

Whether they weigh your hand luggage or not depends on the person who checks you in. if you keep it to one side and just flash it at them when they ask you how many pieces of hand lugges you may get away without it being weighed.

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Coz as we said earlier all liquida which include shampoo hon have to go in ya case, or as suggested buy it when u get there saves worrying about some liquids and keeps the baggage weight down :)

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Ooops :roll: i had completley forgotten about the amount if bags you can carry on board and Lee is right, its a pain but there you go ;)
Happy packing Hon :)

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm

not a pain in the slightest...i hate handbags so it suits me just fine not to have one! i'll just have to remember to leave enough space for a couple of bottles of grey goose in the hand luggage!

Next ridiculously stupid question - i've now got daily disposable contacts ... i assume they have to go in the hold as they are in saline?

Cx

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Yes hon they do and to be honest they would be safer in there any way instead of being bashed about in the always too full overhead cabin storage anyway :)

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:46 pm

LOL..ok...you do realise there is the best part of a month for me to worry about all this....

And Christine - I wanted them with me because my suitcase is a light weight one...it's like a big holdall on wheels..

Cx

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 pm

If you get the grey goose at duty free then you can carry it on separately - it doesn't have to fit in the hand luggage ;)

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:38 pm

My suitcase is the same as yours it seems and all of my fragile stuff has been fine, have faith lol !!
Pack some stuff around them to protect em some more :)

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Cozdragon wrote:LOL..ok...you do realise there is the best part of a month for me to worry about all this...

Cx
You did ask !!, we simply answered :lol:

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Christine wrote:
Cozdragon wrote:LOL..ok...you do realise there is the best part of a month for me to worry about all this...

Cx
You did ask !!, we simply answered :lol:

i know you did...and i'm vey grateful! i'm just pointing out that there are a few more weeks left for me to worrit my way through...i've started putting holiday cash in my passport too! Cx

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Don't change any money in the UK!

Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

lol I've not got that far yet! I know that the rate will be better out there..but I'll need a little bit babes...if only to buy a bloody enormous drink! Cx