11 handed down 2–5 year jail sentences in baby purchase plot

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

11 handed down 2–5 year jail sentences in baby purchase plot

Post by CocoaButter »

CAIRO: The South Cairo Criminal Court sentenced 11 people involved in a baby purchase plot to two to five years in jail Thursday.

The group was found guilty of “human trafficking through buying and selling four newly born babies and smuggling them outside the country to sell them to foreigners,” Chancellor Al-Mohammadi Qunsua, head of the South Cairo Criminal Court, said.

Mariam Ragheb Rezk Allah, who runs an orphanage; George Saed Louis Ghali, a surgeon; and Gamil Khalil Bekheit, were all slammed a five-year jail sentence with labor and a LE 100,000 fine.

Iris Nabil Abdel Meseih Botrous and her husband Louis Andraous along with Suzanne Hagolf, Medhat Metias and Ashraf Hassan Moustafa were sentenced to two years in jail with labor.

The court also handed down the same two-year sentence to Raafat Atallah, Josephine Al-Kess Matah Gerges, and Atef Roushdy Amin Hana, who were all at large.

Botrous, Andraous, Atallah and Gerges were also fined LE 100,000.

The forged passports and identification papers that were used to smuggle the babies outside Egypt will remain in the court’s possession and will be referred to a specialized court to examine the case.

The stolen babies’ families filed lawsuits demanding compensation, but the court said those cases will also be referred to a specialized court.

[img]http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/imageview.as
px?ID=18973&ImageWidth=200[/img]
http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/articl ... leID=24641

Funny this was talked a lot when i was out there last time i was even pointed out of some when i was on walkabout .

Image Image
Claire

What were the reasons for this?

Post by Claire »

I'm no way condoning what these people did but till I read about this case I did n't realise that adoption was not allowed under Islamic Law. Although some of the people named here are Muslim the couples who wanted to adopt the children were all Christian. There is nothing in Christianity that forbids adoption. I think this is another case where the laws should be reviewed and Christian couples should be allowed to adopt.
Undutchable

Post by Undutchable »

The first time I came in contact with this was here in Hurghada. While out with friends a man came up to me with a cute little girl on his arm and asked me if I wanted to buy her and how much I was willing to pay. I got so angry and shouted at him...... really unbelievable that someone would do that......
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

I would love to foster one of my sils children .
Image Image