Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Post by New Gal »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

Er why??

What has he achieved yet??

He has good intentions but then so do I and most other people and we get nowt!

Jokes aside, why has he been given this?

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Cause hes man
and plus hes achieved something i thought i not see the first black prezzie in AMERICA .
shame cannot make one here like to wipe the smugs off the ones that rule us ,i give anyone a noble peace prize who can knock off this lot .
Image Image
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

HE WANTS PEACE GVE THE MAN A BREAK :lol:
Image Image
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Well being black and becoming president is an achievement but isn’t sufficient to win the Nobel Peace Prize, for petes sake!

I would personally be offended if I was awarded anything based only on my perceived ethnicity and not my achievements.

Yes it has been difficult for him and I do like him but he was always going to be made president after the catastrophe that was the Bush administration.
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Agreed NG, the peace prize should only be given when peace is achieved.

If he contributed in a positive way to peace in the Middle East then it would be fully deserved, but America continues to be part of the problem with its unconditional support of Israel.

While Obama isn't Bush (thank your favourite deity) he still has to achieve anything of note. He took the presidency but, and I'm not putting down his achievement here, the opposition was spectacularly pathetic.

On his own side, a woman. Americans would never stand for that.
On the opposition bench, a man almost in his grave and a psychotic redneck woman.

That said, I like the man and have high hopes for what he will achieve.

An award like this does cheapen the Nobel somewhat.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Thanks Lee, I thought I was going crackers when I first saw that Obama had been awarded this for simply STATING that he wants a nuclear free world and feeling like I have just found out that my favourite love song was written about a sandwich.

Erm, the supposed prerequisites of being a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize is and ACHIEVEMENT of peace, which, quite simply, 10 months in office have not and cannot achieve.

As aforementioned, I do like the man and think (and hope) that he will follow through as he is certainly in a position to do so. Having said that, the Israel-Palestine issue is one that needs the majority of focus though as its offshoots into many others.

Nuclear weaponry is another issue but what about world poverty and the FACT that by the time this sentence is read, 5 children will have died in the world amounting to 25,000 children dying each day due to poverty :(

Surely world leaders need to tackle these issues.

As well as the forgotten and tragic genocide that is Rwanda????
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

It's much easier for them to grab the headlines with words like "Nuclear War" because obviously everybody is against one of those breaking out.

Haven't actually noticed the US disarming.

And we could feed all the starving children of the world if the warmongering budgets were used for good purpose.

Can I have a Nobel Prize now please?

Lee
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Thats it thought isnt it? The solutions seem simple to people but not to the politicians :x
Scott

Post by Scott »

As one of the few AMERICANS on this forum, I have to ask:

What has he DONE???? The world is FULL of people with good intentions - so maybe we start handing out Nobels at McDonald's as part of 'supersizing'?

I have a friend from Vermont, one of my wife's classmates at the Unversity of Vermont, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for her work in eliminating land mines around the world. At least she DID something constructive.

I don't begrudge him the award (much) but I would like to see results first!

Best to all,
Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

FYI, for those of you who have never seen one, this link shows Jody's Diploma. I have held it - it is VERY cool.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peac ... ploma.html

Best to all,
Scott
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Now THAT is a worthy cause and very impressive ;)

Nice one Scott

Lee
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Looks like we weren't the only ones stunned by the revelation:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 00567.html

Obama himself seems sheepish at the accolade.
Susue

Post by Susue »

CocoaButter wrote:HE WANTS PEACE GVE THE MAN A BREAK :lol:

I agree!!!!!
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

And that is exactly why he was awarded it :) according to Nobel's will it is to be awarded to people who have worked in the previous year towards getting peace,he did not say that they had to achieve it ;) He is also not the first American president to be awarded it they have been at least four and Carter was the last and he won it on humanitarian grounds. :)
Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them
Susue

Post by Susue »

I think the guy deserves every accolade he gets!!
he's also trying so hard to inprove the health services here in the US... and he's being fought every inch of the way by ignorant narrow- minded redneck Americans!!
The only thing I hate about livingf in this country is the health service.... if he can improve it I'll be happy to live here!!!
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking him in the slightest.

The whole of the UK cheered when Obama got in - nothing could be worse than what you had previously.

We thought nothing could be worse here than what we had but hey, we didn't have a choice in ours ;)

I hope he gets the chance to put all his plans in place.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hi, Susue,
I can only assume from your postings that you are not an American and are rather an 'ex-pat' as we are here.

Having said that I would like to reply to your comment about US healthcare.

As I read post after post here, ad nauseam, regarding the probs with UK NHS, being temporarily out of UK, and having trouble with benefits after return, along with incredible delays in "so-called" elective procedures, I can't help but compare that atmosphere with that in the US.

I am a retired American health care professional so I have some familiarity with the system having been a provider for the better part of 30 years, and a consumer for the last 10.

My American health care insurance is provided to me at ZERO cost, and is available to me instantly I return to the US, at any time, regardless of how long I have been out of the country.

In addition, should I present for treatment, as I have done in the past, to a physician, and he feels hospitalization, or advanced diagnostics are indicated, such as CT or MRI, the question he asks me is: "Can you go in today, or would you like to wait until tomorrow morning?"

The healthcare delivery issue is a very complex issue and it is egregious to think that with one major overhaul, the system will be better. I would submit to you a points:

1. In the USA, all 50 jurisdictions have legally adopted the "Patient's Bill of Rights", under which ANY AND ALL PERSONS, REGARDLESS OF COVERAGE AND DOCUMENTATION, are entitled to immediate care as needed when presenting at any accredited US health care facility emergency department. NB. 'regardless of coverage or documentation." This benefit is in, fact, part of the bottle neck and the fix is financial not professional.

So, I would suggest that, if the US health care delivery system is such a burden for a non-American, they should probably rethink their location.
Scott

Post by Scott »

One more small thought:

If you want to improve the US health care delivery system, start by denying care to those not legally entitled to it.