Pound being put at risk - Cameron

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Spike

Pound being put at risk - Cameron

Post by Spike »

The government is putting the British economy and currency at risk with its £20bn "borrowing binge", Conservative leader David Cameron has told the BBC.

Mr Cameron said it was a "massive mistake" to plan a short term giveaway only to "whack up taxes later".

He said Gordon Brown's plans could make the recession worse and said he would abandon Labour's 2010 spending plans.

The prime minister says the Conservatives are isolated as most countries support a fiscal stimulus.

He has also accused Mr Cameron of leading a "do nothing" party which would not help people through the economic downturn.

'Whack up taxes'

The government announced a series of measures to try to boost confidence last month, including a cut in VAT from 17.5% to 15% to try to get people spending.

But the chancellor said VAT would go back up after a year and National Insurance contributions would have to rise by 0.5% from 2011.

Mr Cameron told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Even though we're borrowing absolutely at the limit, to go out and borrow another £20bn and to have a short-term giveaway, and then to have to whack up taxes later - I think that is a massive mistake. "

He added: "I think that puts the public finances at risk, it puts the currency at risk, it puts the whole economy at risk and I think it will actually delay the recovery."

Mr Cameron is giving a speech to the London School of Economics in which he is stepping up his criticism of the government's "fiscal stimulus" plan to boost the economy.

He told the BBC the government's plans would "load up taxes and load up debt for future generations".

The government says the need for a fiscal stimulus is widely accepted and the Conservatives are isolated in opposing their plans.

On Monday, at a press conference Mr Brown said many European countries were planning a "temporary and affordable fiscal stimulus".

He said the boost would help families and businesses and was "the right thing to do".

Source BBC News

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I hope the pound gets stronger soon, it must be affecting most people now, even those living abroad, the £1 again the Egyptian pound went under 8LE a few days ago to 7.98LE thats 300LE+ loss on every £100.

Today Coinhill is showing 8.19LE to the English pound :(
Spike

Post by Spike »

It's bad,

The Pound versus the Euro is at a record low again today @ 1.1314
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

A friend of mine has just come back from Costa Del Sol ~ she reitred there a few yars ago but since the drop in the exhange rates and change to euor she says that its almost impossible to keep the business going and a lot of her friends are considering moving back too!
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Unfortunately the recession has only begun so be prepared for a very bumpy ride - I think by next year we will begin to feel the effects, and as there are many more cuts in the offing i think we will see many businesses closing, and the economy in a downward spiral regardless of the efforts of government - it is indeed a whole paragdim shift from the familiar to a whole new world ......and it was predicted aeons ago for those that would listen - this government not one I'm afraid :roll:
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

It amazes me though after working yesterday in the store how many people there are spending on plastic and applying for store cards!! Not small spend either and speaking to some they say they cant spoil christmas! We should go back to its the thought that counts not the monetary value
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)