Egyptian authorities arrest 11 people in baby purchase plot

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

By Nader Ramadan
First Published: January 23, 2009
CAIRO: Nine Egyptians and two American women were arrested by Egyptian authorities for allegedly trying to sell four babies, according to the Ministry of Interior.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, Mohamed Imam, told Daily News Egypt that all 11 suspects are being held in Egypt. Currently, the 11 alleged suspects are “waiting for their trial date to be announced.”

However, the ministry’s press center said that there is very little information on the whereabouts of the 11 suspects.

Security sources told Reuters this week that four doctors, two nurses, a tour guide, and two American women were involved in a plot to sell four Egyptian babies. A boy baby would be offered at the price of LE 25,000 and a girl baby for LE 20,000.

The US Embassy told Reuters they observed suspicious activity when one of the American women visited the embassy and alerted authorities. It didn’t give further details about what those suspicious activities were.

“We are aware of this investigation and it is led by the Egyptian authorities. We are cooperating fully,” a US embassy official told Reuters.

The Egyptian constitution prohibits foreigners from adopting Egyptian children. Religious and social restrictions forbid giving adopted orphans the name of the new parents.

The incident comes amid reports criticizing Egypt for human trafficking.

According to reports released last summer by the US State Department, Egypt has been labeled a “transit state” because of the country’s alleged participation in human trafficking and illegal sex trade.

“Egypt is a transit country for women trafficked from Uzbekistan, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, and other Eastern European countries to Israel for sexual exploitation,” said the report. The report also cited that children are also smuggled, through Egypt, into other countries in Eastern Europe and Israel to be sexually exploited.

The report alleges that Egypt is acting as a bridge to send female sex workers to other parts of the Middle East including the Gulf and Israel.

The US State Department’s report comes amidst efforts by Egyptian law enforcement authorities to crack down on local human traffickers.

The US State Department study cited some minor improvements in Egypt’s human trafficking situation when state-run TV aired United Nations’ announcements urging Egyptians to put a stop to human trafficking.

However, the report still holds the government responsible for failing to conduct any serious attempts to curb sex commerce in Egypt and recommends stronger law enforcement.

Goddess

Post by Goddess »

I read that in the paper the other day. I was just stunned at the price of human life. Seems so cheap. :cry:
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I must admit I had not read that, but am shocked at what some people in this day and age will still do and the lack of respect for life!
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I read that they were illegitimate children that were offered because of the shame to the family if they were even known to exist.

I'll probably lay myself open to all sorts of criticism :worry: but I can't help feeling that a baby that is unwanted in Egypt, is going to have a better life in America with parents that want it & can afford to pay, than in an orphanage in Egypt. I know the way it was done is wrong, and possibly open to abuse, but with adoption outside Egypt illegal what other way is there?
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

So long as it was done properly and no chance of reperusiion for the child at any later stage in there lives or for the people whom adopted the child I think it is a very good idea, but the problem with doing it underhand is that the adults procurring the children could be worse thanthe orphanage especially with all these weird people around nowadays. It is such a shame that it is illegal I wonder why?
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)