Stargazing tonight

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Stargazing tonight

Post by New Gal »

Skygazers are preparing for the high point of the annual Perseid meteor shower and I will also be up waiting to have a look.

The shower, which reaches its peak on Wednesday, occurs when the Earth passes through a stream of dusty debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

As this cometary "grit" strikes our atmosphere, it burns up, often creating streaks of light across the sky.

The meteors appear to come from a point called a "radiant" in the constellation of Perseus - hence the name Perseid.

"Earth passes through the densest part of the debris stream sometime on 12 August. Then, you could see dozens of meteors per hour," said Bill Cooke of Nasa's meteoroid environment office.

No special equipment is required to watch the sky show. Astronomers say binoculars might help, but will also restrict the view to a small part of the sky.

The Perseids can appear in any part of the sky, but their tails all point back to the radiant in the constellation Perseus.

Stargazers are advised to lie on a blanket or a reclining chair to get the best view.

The tails of the Perseids point back to a "radiant" in the constellation Perseus.

They can appear anywhere in the sky.

Budding astronomers are being urged to take part in the first "Twitter Meteorwatch". Astronomers from around the world will be live-tweeting images of the meteors, as well as pictures of the Moon, Jupiter and other celestial objects.

The "48-hour Twitter marathon" will form part of the International Year of Astronomy 2009 (IYA2009).

In the UK, the best times to see the Perseids are likely to be on the morning of 12 August before dawn and from late evening on the 12th through to the early hours of the 13 August.

This year, light from the last quarter Moon will interfere significantly with the view.

The UK's National Trust has published online guides to seven top Perseid viewing sites, including coastal spots, nature reserves and national parks.
Jo Burgon, head of access and recreation at the Trust, said: "Light pollution from our towns and cities has increased so much in recent years, but head out to the countryside for the perfect place to explore the beauty of the night sky, away from the intrusive glow."

The rock and dust fragments which cause the shower were left behind by Comet Swift-Tuttle when it last came near the Sun.

The comet orbits the Sun once every 130 years and last swept through the inner Solar System in 1992.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8193769.stm

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

I was just going to say that probably won't see much, and then that article pipped me to the post saying the moon would interfere.
Was looking at the moon last night through the window and thinking how bright it looked.

Will have a peep anyway late on tonight.
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Goddess, the news this morning said the same thing about the moon’s interference but you may still get to see some of the shower even though the moon is quite bright at the moment. I can't wait as its clouding over already where I am so that shoudl help :D
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

What I want to know NG is are you going to be on the blanket or reclining chair :lol:
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

:lol: neither, my bed is under a massive sky light that opens up half or roof so will be in the comfort of my big bed, watching the stars overhead :D
Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Oh goody just for me a show in the night sky on my birthday :lol: ;)
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Happy Birthday Kiya, hope you have a good one ! :)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Happy Birthday Kiya for yesterday, hope you had a lovely day :D

I didn’t see anything lastnight, the sky was so light up until I fell asleep after midnight, it was a strange orangey colour for ages. Very disappointed but fingers crossed for tonight as its set to continue!
Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Thanks folks for birthday wishes :D for today the 12 th ;) & I aint seen no show in the night sky either :cry:
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Didnt see anything here in wet north wales either ~
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)