Compassion for criminals

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Scott wrote:Ahhhh - that's a whole separate conversation!!!!

It does cut down on recidivism!!!!!

Best,
Me
Why is it a separate conversation??

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Well, I for one am athiest. I don't believe we should lower ourselves to their level with Capital Punishment, but on the other hand I think he should have died behind bars without any contact with his family and without drugs for pain etc.......stuff compassion Scott.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Hurghada Lady wrote:Well, I for one am athiest. I don't believe we should lower ourselves to their level with Capital Punishment, but on the other hand I think he should have died behind bars without any contact with his family and without drugs for pain etc.......stuff compassion Scott.
:br: :br: re "stuff compassion" comment
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Come on now ladies :roll: You cannot be against capital punishment which would be reasonably quick and painless, then say he should die a lingering death with no medical treatment? :cry: However bad he is and how ever much he deserves his punishment, we would only be lowering ourselves to his level of compassion. Keep him in prison for life yes, execute him, again yes, but not to torment him like an animal. That would make us as brutal as the people who carry out these outrageous acts.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

But, me and my friend were discussing this and we came to the conclusion that say theres a given person prone to violence but they usually refrain from acting on it, then they go and get diagnosed with X,Y and Z illness and carry out their evil acts as they know they may get a shorter or truncated sentence.

Then what???

We have to show them 'compassion' too as we have set a precedent for a terrorist??

So, instead of using deterrents like the death penalty of life ACTUALLY meaning life, we are allowing people to commit serious crimes and be shown compassion that they didn't extend to others.

I understand what is meant when we say that we shouldn't go to the level of others but then again, thats the only language some understand isn't it??
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

No Professor Horus, fate gave him cancer, or God if you believe. Let nature take it's course! He doesn't deserve any help, the only medicine he should get is a taste of his own !
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

You cannot bring fate or god into the equation, if you do then all the people were on the plane by fate or because god willed it. The real problem here is not should we have freed him, but that life should mean life. If we are not prepared to keep him in prison indefinitely, then we should at least be bold enough to carry out a death sentence if the crime warrants it.

One thing that it has done though is to make it extremely difficult for this type of release to happen again. One incident of a dictatorial flatulent Arab leader sticking his fingers up at those nice Western leaders for their compassionate gesture is something that will not be easily forgotten. It also shows that this type of regime cannot be trusted to act in a diplomatic way, obviously behind the scenes Libya was asked to keep it a bit low key so as not to cause a furore at home.

What do they do in return? their illustrious leader sends his private jet to collect him, his son greets him at the airport, then he publicly thanks America, the UK, Prince Andrew and any other name he can come up with in an attempt to embarrass as many people as possible, he is about as slippery and trustworthy as a souvenir seller in Luxor, something we should remember in any future dealings with this tent dwelling snake.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

:lol:
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Horus wrote:You cannot bring fate or god into the equation, if you do then all the people were on the plane by fate or because god willed it. The real problem here is not should we have freed him, but that life should mean life. If we are not prepared to keep him in prison indefinitely, then we should at least be bold enough to carry out a death sentence if the crime warrants it.

One thing that it has done though is to make it extremely difficult for this type of release to happen again. One incident of a dictatorial flatulent Arab leader sticking his fingers up at those nice Western leaders for their compassionate gesture is something that will not be easily forgotten. It also shows that this type of regime cannot be trusted to act in a diplomatic way, obviously behind the scenes Libya was asked to keep it a bit low key so as not to cause a furore at home.

What do they do in return? their illustrious leader sends his private jet to collect him, his son greets him at the airport, then he publicly thanks America, the UK, Prince Andrew and any other name he can come up with in an attempt to embarrass as many people as possible, he is about as slippery and trustworthy as a souvenir seller in Luxor, something we should remember in any future dealings with this tent dwelling snake.
Loved the last bit Horus, made me giggle loads.

I definitely agree that life should always mean life, 'good' behaviour shortens the sentence? :roll: :roll:

Why when the initial crime warranted a life sentence?? So they weren't being 'good' then, were they??

And as for the private jet and public welcome fiasco, well, that was just beyond ridiculous
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

OK boys and girls, here is the real reason for cosying up to the Libyan slime ball.
In the last few years the Russian bear has shown the West that they are quite prepared to turn off the gas tap if they need to flex their muscles and put pressure on countries in Europe and its own satellite states not to toe the American line.

In addition it runs through some pretty unstable areas that could at any time turn into another war zone. So how do we counter this? Well we could always import more from further a field but that involves expensive tanker transport coupled with the risk of political unrest in a lot of the areas concerned. Countries like Iraq and Iran are unlikely to be without problems for a long time, plus the pipelines are easy targets for insurgent attacks, as are the Russian ones.

Libya sits one of the biggest undeveloped oil fields discovered to date and ranks in the top four. It is likely that future exploration will push these huge reserves up considerably higher. Libya sits conveniently opposite Europe and a safe route could be easily constructed for a supply pipeline that avoided Russia and its allies and could feed oil and gas directly into Europe.

From a stability point of view, once it has the potential of high foreign income from its oil exports, Libya is unlikely to be a problem area as they grow rich on the revenue from oil. Russia of course will have to resort to a better guarantee and price structure for its own outlets of oil and so competition to supply Europe will be beneficial to us as we will have two close supplies to choose from.

A more relevant point is security, due to its location in North Africa with Egypt and Tunisia as its neighbours, plus a lot of desert to the South; it would be a lot easier for Europe to defend its own interests in the area. It takes little imagination to see that any interference with this local supply could be dealt with by a combined European force that would equal any other in terms of men, arms, ships, aircraft and technology.
Worth thinking about. 8)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Hhhmmm, very thought provoking Horus 8)
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Horus Wrote
Karen, if you were living in Rhyl at the time, your navigation must be as bad as Mrs H's
:lol: :lol: Actually I was living in Aberdeen at the time, but I will admit to having dodgy navigatin at times!

I think still think its terrible that the scottish government have made such a mistake ~ I still feel that he should have died in prison for what he did ~ no one on the flight was shown compassion by him or his friends, so why should he be given the chance to be with friends and die in comfort!
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I heard on the news that the Scottish Parliament were going to discuss this issue as they are “concerned” over the welcome he got :doh: :doh:

What did they think was going to happen??
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

The only thing that Mr Alex Salmon is concerned about is the backlash against the SNP if the Americans start boycotting Scotish exports.

A spokesman for the desert snake said that the West did not understand the Libyan ways and that it was quite normal for the 'tribe' to welcome one of their own back home again.
So that's alright then :) we must point out more often that they do not understand our ways on every occasion that they complain about the way we do things in the future.

So according to the spokesman for Hissing Sid, it was not orchestrated and there was no Libyan government involvement in the welcome home ceremony. :lol:
Heres a bet then :), very soon Libya will be celebrating 40 years of independance, no prizes for guessing which terrorist bomber will no doubt be making a guest appearance? ;)
Susue

Post by Susue »

I'm with Mel and the others on this one....
This guy has absolutely no right to freedom.....
Libya giving him a 'heroes welcome' is just laughing in the face of the Scots that decided to give this murderer his freedom...

Sorry.... I don't see any positives at all to realeasing this person!!!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Well, this morning, we have now have victims of IRA bombings asking for compo from Libya as they provided weapons etc to the IRA at the height of the Troubles...apparently, Libya should also show a similar level of compassion as the Scottish Govt have…. :roll: :roll:

The story is below:

Relatives of IRA terrorist victims have renewed their calls for compensation from Libya following the release of the Lockerbie bomber.

During the Troubles, Libya supplied guns and explosives to the IRA, and the families want the country to face up to its responsibilities.

They are calling on the Libyan leader to demonstrate the same compassion shown to Abdelbaset Ali Al Megrahi.

The terminally-ill bomber was released from a Scottish prison last week.

Families of victims killed by Libyan weapons believe their hand has been strengthened by Megrahi's release, which has caused a political and diplomatic row on both sides of the Atlantic.

He was freed by the Scottish government on compassionate grounds and returned home to Libya, where he was given a hero's welcome.

'Same compassion'

Colin Parry, whose 12-year-old son Tim was killed in the IRA attack in Warrington in 1993, said Libya should now publicly recognise the pain it had caused so many in the UK.

He has called on Prime Minister Gordon Brown to support the families in their quest.

Democratic Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson, who is hoping to travel to Libya with some of the relatives in the autumn, said the Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should show the same compassion as the Scottish government.

Libya was once a sponsor of worldwide terrorism, including support for the IRA, but the country and its leader have come in from the cold.

In 2003, it took responsibility for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, which claimed 270 lives, mostly American. It also abandoned efforts to develop weapons of mass destruction.

Five years later, Col Gaddafi reached a final compensation agreement with the US over Lockerbie and other bombings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8219433.stm