Breast Cancer Checker

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Breast Cancer Checker

Post by CocoaButter »

Breast cancer is now the most common cancer in Britain. Survival rates are better than ever, but the earlier the cancer is diagnosed, the better the chances of successful treatment.
Current advice is that women should 'get to know their breasts' and find out what's 'normal' for them, rather than checking breasts in a regimented and prescriptive fashion.

Your breasts will go through perfectly normal changes throughout your lifetime. They are affected by hormonal changes during your menstrual cycle, pregnancy, breastfeeding, the menopause (change of life) and weight loss or weight gain.

Breast awareness is about becoming familiar with your normal breast tissue and how it changes, for example before or after your period.

Get into the habit of looking at and feeling your breasts from time to time. One way of looking is by using a mirror so that you can see your breasts from different angles. You may find feeling your breasts is easier to do with a soapy hand in the bath or shower, or you may prefer to do it lying down. You can decide what is convenient for you and what you are comfortable with.

You will know better than anyone how your breast feels and looks normally, so if you do notice a change, see your GP. Don't worry that you may be making an unnecessary fuss, your doctor is there to help, and remember that most breast changes will be non-cancerous and harmless.

Using a soapy hand, glide the palm of your hand over your breast in a circular movement - as if you were washing your breast. Start around the armpit and move towards the top of the breast. Now move your hand towards the middle of the breast, finishing underneath. Apply enough pressure that's comfortable for you. Now repeat on the other breast.

Image Image

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

And to add to ccb's post i think its great that after 50 like yours truley, you get an automatic scan offered, at least you do in our area. :)

Scott

Post by Scott »

I think I had seen somewhere in the media a new report that manual exams are not terribly valuable as, by the time a mass becomes detectable by feel, it is WELL advanced.

Best technique is imaging it said.
Be sure to check with your physician.

Sharon

Susue

Post by Susue »

Scott wrote:I think I had seen somewhere in the media a new report that manual exams are not terribly valuable as, by the time a mass becomes detectable by feel, it is WELL advanced.

Sharon

Scott/Sharon... that's not always true!!
I found a lump almost 13 years ago... the size of a small pea.
It was malignant... a stage 2 cancer... which had spread through my lymph glands.
After a partial lumpectomy, 8 months' chemo and radiation..... I've been in remission for 12 years now... and I thank God for that daily!!

But... ladies.... yes.... get your mamograms... they're life-savers!!!

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Susue wrote:
Scott wrote:I think I had seen somewhere in the media a new report that manual exams are not terribly valuable as, by the time a mass becomes detectable by feel, it is WELL advanced.

Sharon

Scott/Sharon... that's not always true!!
I found a lump almost 13 years ago... the size of a small pea.
It was malignant... a stage 2 cancer... which had spread through my lymph glands.
After a partial lumpectomy, 8 months' chemo and radiation..... I've been in remission for 12 years now... and I thank God for that daily!!

But... ladies.... yes.... get your mamograms... they're life-savers!!!
Alhumdillah .i have had 2 thank Allah just cysts..
Suesue i follow your trips and you inspiration i applaud you ..
Image Image

Scott

Post by Scott »

Susue,
I sympathize with you but maybe an early mammo would have found it at stage 1???

You are certainly one of the lucky ones - 12 years clear is pure gold.

In any case, you can't do too much testing!!!! It's nothing to fool with!

Best!
S

Susue

Post by Susue »

Scott wrote:Susue,
I sympathize with you but maybe an early mammo would have found it at stage 1???

You are certainly one of the lucky ones - 12 years clear is pure gold.

In any case, you can't do too much testing!!!! It's nothing to fool with!

Best!
S

I get a yearly mammogram now.... as well as a yearly smear test.

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Sometimes i wished i had no breasts ,maybe reality is coming quicker than i thought !!!
One marking can change your whole life in a second .
Image Image

Susue

Post by Susue »

CocoaButter wrote:Sometimes i wished i had no breasts ,maybe reality is coming quicker than i thought !!!

I totally agree, Cocoa..... I've got my yearly mammo coming up next week.... I'm always nervous for a while before....
been blessed so far!!!

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Susue wrote:
CocoaButter wrote:Sometimes i wished i had no breasts ,maybe reality is coming quicker than i thought !!!

I totally agree, Cocoa..... I've got my yearly mammo coming up next week.... I'm always nervous for a while before....
been blessed so far!!!
i went doctors 4times complaining silly cow says its nothing ,now i got skin markings and spreading and now she says i think you should be checked ,i wont tell u what i said to her but well lets say i come to haunt her .my left breast has enlarged so much and itch itch itch ,and burns .my left arm and should blooody aches like anything ,and i cannot sleep or think now proper i already had lumps removed i certainly dont want to go down this road again ,but another doctor came in and was not happy with her ,he said she has a history how come u did not put her forward ,beleive me i aint fffffffffffffffff happy i got enough crap in my life to contend with than to keep assing my self down the hospital i am due in hospital in march and i am to go on a pee bag for a month ,and i got to take zulie to addenbrooks as well in that time ,so me is venting personaly anyone sees i dont care anymore .i am very tired and ready to drop .
Image Image

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Sorry :(
Image Image

Susue

Post by Susue »

Wow!! Poor girl!! As if you haven't had enough to deal with lately!!
Well..... the good thing is.... if it turns out to be bad..... they can do a LOT these days..... look at me!!

If you need a private rant.... you can e-mail me anytime!
Big hugs to you!!!!

Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

CB you have been through the mill more than once ~
My thoughts are with you and as SueSue says so much can be done nowadays and keeping positive also helps in bucketfuls. x
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

I just made appointment with my doctor my own one ,not HER !!! the locum .
I need some help and therapy talk on this i am a full time carer and it gets to you after a while and yes i am tired i have took time away from the forum that we help run for mothers and fathers with special needs children support line .
I cannot turn to my mum she is looking after me dad at the age of 84 he had a stroke and i take it in turns to help her i have dredged in the snow to them but i dont mind they my parents .
MCannot seem to talk with husband on this he just seems distant on this maybe it brings memories back i dont know .Mind you hes in his own world at the moment :?
Anyway has anyone been on a pee bag :cry: i just really not looking forward to this !
i sit now and wait for a fone call for appointment on my breast..inshallah i pray
thanx all
And Suesue You know what i think of you anyway ,your a living Angel God loves you :)

Thankyou again all ,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Image Image

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Susue wrote:Wow!! Poor girl!! As if you haven't had enough to deal with lately!!
Well..... the good thing is.... if it turns out to be bad..... they can do a LOT these days..... look at me!!

If you need a private rant.... you can e-mail me anytime!
Big hugs to you!!!!
Image Image

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hi CB, *peeks cautiously into the women's area*

I had to make do with a catheter bag for a while after my op - it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but you can get by with it quite discreetly.

It's also very convenient in other ways as you don't have to keep nipping off to the loo ;)

Hope all goes well with your tests.

Lee

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Netyoda wrote:Hi CB, *peeks cautiously into the women's area*

I had to make do with a catheter bag for a while after my op - it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but you can get by with it quite discreetly.

It's also very convenient in other ways as you don't have to keep nipping off to the loo ;)

Hope all goes well with your tests.

Lee
i know its gonna be strapped to my leg ,
i am thinking how i pray namaaz i think i can sit with this .
godsake cannot beleive i am talking about this :mrgreen:
thankyou i let every one know how i get on ,i am thinking positive ...
Image Image

Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

Keep your chin up CB and keep thinking positive and rant as much as you like on here :) much better than keeping all your worries to yourself.This is when having a close friend who you can rant to,cry with,laugh with and most important of all who will help you cope with all that life throws at you.You will cope i am sure as feel you are a strong person,you must be to have come through all of your traumas so :D and the world will smile with you.xxx
Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Hurghadapat wrote:Keep your chin up CB and keep thinking positive and rant as much as you like on here :) much better than keeping all your worries to yourself.This is when having a close friend who you can rant to,cry with,laugh with and most important of all who will help you cope with all that life throws at you.You will cope i am sure as feel you are a strong person,you must be to have come through all of your traumas so :D and the world will smile with you.xxx
Thankyou i take it into consideration :) i used to be a very strong person but personal and other things in recent years and even people i did not meet crashed all that ,i become so cautious and suspicious of anyone .
The strong side of what is left of me is crashing slowly and i am so fed up keeping a pretence thats why i get so defencive very quickly .But i am got bronchitus at the moment and it hurts .But yes i am looking positive never should really think the worst i have learnt this through having a very sick child .Each day as it comes ..

:@SUEsue
The doctor gave me a chart to follow for my breasts ,what i dont get is the
milk dots he said to look for discolaration to which i have on the left which is causing the concern ,but it bleeds .Anyway i got colours of the base of the N**** u know which i am on about that has changed colour but when i am looking at the chart it says in between normal and not normal maybe a changing development ,can you give me what it really means please .or something on the grounds ,making a appointment to see nurse on monday i got to have a nother examination and they teaching me to how to look as well ..The funny thing is in the Boots chemist they got a detector for early signs of anything abnormal in the breast ,do you think i should by this ???inshallah i will be given all clear ,i still want to be precautious even though i have had two cysts removed ,
I am also going in this march or april not sure which date to have a fibroid removed thats laying on my tubes .This is resulting into a pee bag :cry:
for a month cause my tube there is damaged as well ...
Image Image

Susue

Post by Susue »

Cocoa..... sorry hon, I don't know anything about the colour thing!
Mine was just straightforward...
Found a lump.... took it to the GP... she referred me to the cancer hospital... had further tests..... it was malignant...
had lump removed (well... half a boob!!) more tests.... found it was a satge 2 that had spread to my lymph glands...
8 months of chemo and radiotherapy...
5 years of Tamoxifen...
Has been in remission since.... for which I thank God every day!!

Later it was found it had spread to my bones in my leg.... but the chemo stopped it before I knew I had it!!

I agree with Pat.... ranting on here is not a problem..... the members here are more supportive , less judgemental and much less bitchy than tFe 'other forum'
Feel free to rant!!