Tourists damaging Egypt tombs

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Tourists damaging Egypt tombs

Post by CocoaButter »

Luxor, Egypt - The ornate pharaonic tombs in Egypt's Valley of the Kings are doomed to disappear within 150 to 500 years if they remain open to tourists, the head of antiquities has warned.

Zahi Hawass said humidity and fungus are eating into the walls of the royal tombs in the huge necropolis on the west bank of the Nile across from Luxor, which is swamped daily by several thousand tourists.

Poor ventilation and the breath of the hordes of visitors are causing damage to the carvings and painted decorations inside the tombs, he told journalists on a tour of the royal necropolis on Monday.
"The tombs (in the Valley of the Kings and nearby Valley of the Queens) which are open to visitors are facing severe damage to both colours and the engravings," Hawass said.

"The levels of humidity and fungus are increasing because of the breath of visitors and this means that the tombs could disappear between 150 and 500 years."

The antiquities authorities have taken a series of measures to protect the tombs, including setting up new ventilation systems, restricting the number of visitors and closing some tombs.

The Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens, where pharaonic royalty was mummified, is home to the tombs of legendary pharaohs such as King Tutenkhamun and Queen Nefertiti. -
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php

Image Image
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

They also sat that flash photgraphy is damaging to some of the art works, which is why it is banned .
Last year i did see some large dehumidifyers in a couple of tombs.
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Christine wrote:They also sat that flash photgraphy is damaging to some of the art works, which is why it is banned .
Last year i did see some large dehumidifyers in a couple of tombs.
yes had the same issue ,even the Mummifcation Museum near the Winter Palace No cameras but some used their Mobiles .
Even though this is to protect the history of Egypt with out it fading ,i do think sometimes it could be cause of the increase of Photography and banning it increases for the tourist to buy Pictures and drawings of the walls .
But i am all for preserving Egypts history anyway ..
Image Image
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Well you could be right CB, by the way i like the new avitar x
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Christine wrote:Well you could be right CB, by the way i like the new avitar x
thankyou .