Travelling Tips

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Netyoda

Travelling Tips

Post by Netyoda »

I'm taking the MVC bus up to Sharqiya at midnight tonight, a trip of about 7.5 hours.

I'll be there (well, out in a village in the countryside) for a couple of days and then I'm off to Cairo for 2 days.

Any advice on what to see/do whilst up and about?

Giza of course, maybe fit in a day cruise.

I have no idea about internet availability out in the boonies so I may not be posting for a day or three.

Lee

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

The Egyptian museum in Cairo is fabulous and you could easily spend a month there and not see everything! However, no aircon so a fan would be good and plenty of water. A guide would take you to see the 'popular' bits, but well worth a visit.

Saqqara is also very good, and in fact, probably better than Giza, but if you do decide on Giza then the solar boat museum is also good.

Hassle is far worse in Cairo than anywhere else but then so is the poverty. Be VERY CAREFUL if you attempt to cross a road!
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I agree with Annadongela the Solar Boat is fantastic went there in October and it was fascinating and was the musem but very warm in there apart from the mummies rooms which were very intersting also but the traffic!!!! 5 lanes of traffic do go into 2 lanes! have a great time
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

The Citadel is worth a shot if youve gota couple of hours the museum there is very interesting.
Go to the top and the views over Cairo are amazing.
Have a good trip.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I could do with you visiting Carrefour Lee :lol: I can't find any brown or fruity sauce in Hurghada for love or money :x After that the Museum is a place not to miss.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Well I've just arrived in Cairo and snagged myself a hotel near Sphinx square in Giza.

I've had a fantastic time in Zerzeezee, Abu Hamed and Zagazig (Sharqiya) but it's nice to have some time alone again.

Various modes of transport have been utilised - Coach, Microbus, Tuk Tuk, Taxi, back of motorbike, train, donkey and tractor, so it's been fun!

Hoping to take in the pyramids and Sphinx tomorrow, but the Liverpool v Manure match is on, so we all know what takes priority there ;)

Lee x
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Well you had better fit in a camel ride & boat while you're there, you will have the full set then won't you :) Sounds like a very varied trip anyway.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

well I've done the camel ride in Marsa Alam and the boat ride from Sharm to Hurghada, although I may try and fit a Nile cruise in while I'm here :D
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Oh no you dont bald eagle you hang on till more of us are there and we can all take one, you keep threatening a visit to Lux, so do it then instead, now get back to ya footy!! ;) :lol:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Well I may just decide to spend an extra day in Cairo and take a felluca cruise on this part of the river, then try the Lux part later.

I went out into Cairo tonight and came back soon after, having had a mediocre meal where they tried to rip me off with the bill, and having been unsuccessful finding a cold beer anywhere.

The hotel was very accommodating though :D
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Thats a shame babe, but its happened to me in Cairo, the rip off and finding cold drinks,my problem was trying to get a red wine, cold,bloody murder, glad ya hotel is ok though x
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Christine, it wasn't just finding a COLD beer, it was finding any sort of lifeblood anywhere - shakes of the head wherever I went.