Estate agent

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Don't mind me asking, how old are you?

And you've never been to Egypt right? What makes you think you want to live here?

Just curious x

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Predator2

Fg

Post by Predator2 »

well newgal i'm 47 and who said i have never been to egypt i've only ever said i've never been to hurghada.i have been to sharm a couple of times diving.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Ok dude, was just asking :D

Hurghada is really different to Sharm and living here is mega different, you will def need thick skin!

Good luck to you, get in touch if you want any advice :D
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Predator2

Ta

Post by Predator2 »

i do appreciate the help and advise,but i'm begining to feel like i would not be welcome out there.. :cry:
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

P2 its me again, dont be put off stick to ya plan and come see for yourself, many people have made the transition succesfully why shouldnt you be one of them eh?? :)
Egypt makes all of her visitors welcome all that Ng is warning you of is a few of the pitfalls, its not all bad, far from it, how could it be we would all come home wouldnt we. ;)
Make a plan and see what you think for yourself, on a forum like this you will get many perspectives, its worth looking at them all honey, then make your own mind up when youve seen it .
You may hate it or on the other hand.................. :?: :?:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

P2 you'd be more than welcome out here.

With a bit of common sense and a friendly manner life can be great out here!

I much prefer Hurghada to Sharm, come and visit - if my spare room's free you're welcome for a week.

Lee
Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon »

P2...hey dreams are important - go and look and see how YOU feel. only YOU can know what is right for you. there are going to be positives and negatives about anything you want to do in life...but the worst thing you could do is not try something that you want.

I'm not living in hurghada, but my best friend has moved out there, and he's given you his experience already. he's met some great people, and has made some friends already...both ex pat and locals. i've seen him look happier than i think i've ever seen him look - so experiences do vary.

i'm not saying that anything anyone here has said is right or wrong...and i know that some people would say i've no right to say anything...i don't live out there. in life there are always choices and decisions and they need to be yours, based on your experience, personality and choices. nothing worth having is ever going to be easy and it seems a shame to give up on a dream without at least going to see for yourself.

Cx
Susue

Post by Susue »

... what am I missing.... why do you think you'd be unwelcome?
I lived in Hurghada for years.... Unwelcome is a word I wouldn't have used!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

P2 I didn't say you wouldn't be welcome at all but if you want all that sugar coated nonsense "yeah its sunny, lifes amazing" blah blah without the other side of the coin then don't read my posts cos life anywhere isn't like that and less so here when there is a strong religious and cultural background.

Yes its not as strong in Hurghada but come on, you're thinking of moving to a Muslim country on the African continent, you don't speak the language and you haven't worked here before. Its tough. It can be tough.

I love my life now, thats for sure but theres lots of things that I considered which I know that others didn't and vice versa and I still didn't cover all angles.

Your best bet is to do what I did...leave some avenues open in the UK, save, save, SAVE and come out with an open mind with regards to work. Unless you come out for a shorter period and attempt to do all your diving stuff.

Connections matter here and you can get something really good if you know the right people and behave appropriately. You may not find something that you thought you would do but it doesn't mean its not fab ;)

Thats just me being honest and you will find a distinct split here, expats that come and live a very insular life and others who completley assimilate, even their minds and views do.

Theres a few other categories also but the less said about them the better ;)

Just chill, read some Naguib Mahfouz especially his Cairo trilogy, maybe come out and rent an apartment for a few months or so and see whats up and then decide.

And never, ever sell up completely in the UK, if possible, take a break from your current work or extended leave and once you do decide to go you will definitely know who your friends are cos thats when the stress begins lol.

Good luck!
Susue

Post by Susue »

Good advice again, New Gal.... I totally agree about not closing all doors behind you!
When I left the UK to go live in Egypt.... my plan was "Maybe I'll stay a month..... maybe I'll stay the rest of my life!.... or something in between"
I still kept my house in the UK... rented to family.
I stayed in Hurghada a few years while I was enjoying it...... moved to the Emirates for a short time to manage a dive centre.... then back to Egypt...and ended up living in the USA.
A good friend in Hurghada that bought 2 flats is very much regretting it.... she can't sell her properties and desperately wants to leave.
I'd been to Hurghada 15 times before I moved there, so I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for.
When you first move there, you think you've found paradise..... but opinions can change.
The advice I'd give anyone is.... go ahead, give it a try.... but leave your options open.
Also..... don't get involved in ant 'business propositions. from anyone.... they usually don't pay off..... Egyptians and expats are not always as honest as they seem!
Give it a try.... enjoy....but give yourself a year or 2 before you finally commit!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Thats exactly what I'm saying SuSue...never get into anything abroad that you wouldn't do at home...business especially!
Predator2

Ta

Post by Predator2 »

god,do you guys ever sleep?.lol..once again thank you for the advise.i am now planning to come out by myself while i do the instructor diving course and then see how it goes from there.my partner and i would be more than happy if we came out there for ten years or so and then moved back to the uk.we are planning on selling up over here but also have a backup plan if things do go wrong.we are starting to think that if we dont't do this we could regret it for the rest of our lives.i know it's a risk but hey, that's life...dave
Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon »

:D Cool that you are going to go out and see for yourself! Everyone should be free to EXPLORE their dream and see if it's what they want in reality. It doesn't matter what you do in life, if it's a change there are always going to be things you haven't anticipated...no matter how much you think...and other people's advice is always their experience, and it's their perception of it, not yours.

If it feels like you'd regret NOT trying then that's a damn good reason to have a shot at it...good luck to you. You get out of life, what you put into it, and I know that Netyoda is loving it there...

BTW - he's one of the good guys, if you take up the offer of the spare room just be aware he makes far more sense once he's had a couple of coffees in the morning! Sorry honey, but you know it's true ;) Even when it's my coffee 'poisoning' you! Cx
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Coffee!! Just on my first this morning!

The patio doors are open and I'm lay in bed looking out at the sea. It's very windy here today but the sun is shining as usual.

Man Utd were knocked out of Europe last night and Liverpool play Benfica tonight. Could life get any better?

Just, need a couple of RSF peeps to come out and visit :D
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

RSF peep's :?: Red sea forum :?:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Thanks for the clarification Christine ;)
Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon »

Netyoda wrote:
Man Utd were knocked out of Europe last night and Liverpool play Benfica tonight. Could life get any better?
YES Liverpool could beat Benfica....oopss they just did ;)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cx
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Indeed and I just met part of that "insular" ex-pay community - bloody good night :D
Cozdragon

Post by Cozdragon »

Netyoda wrote:Indeed and I just met part of that "insular" ex-pay community - bloody good night :D

LOL would that be insular ex pay or insular ex pat honey??????? ;-)

Cx
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

well as I'm out here without an income I'd be an ex-pay ;)