An Egyptians View

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

An Egyptians View

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I have a newsletter come to my email every month, I thought it would be interesting to read an Egyptians point of view of foreigners that live in Cairo.

December 2008 Issue #13
Egypt: Those damn Fowegners
I have known lots of foreigners living in Egypt throughout my life. For some reason- not that I minded of course- I was always surrounded by them. But lately I started wondering about them: What makes a foreigner- and by that I mean someone of European or American/Canadian/Australian descent because we know what the arabs and the refugees are doing here- come and live in Egypt? I mean I get the ones who visit, but why live here? So, I decided to put my anthropologist hat on, and take a closer look at the foreigners that pass by me, and make sweeping generalizations about the whole population. The results astounded me. My research-which wasn’t scientific at all- has shown that there are three different types of foreigners that come to live in Egypt, each with their own habits, traits and even neighborhood. So without further ado, I present you with my findings:

1) The "I am here to make money" Foreigner: This is my favorite type of foreigner, because they come to Egypt full of purpose and they know exactly what they are doing here. This group includes foreigners who work for MNC’s and Oil companies, Embassy officials, journalists who are sent here by their chief bureau, People who do whatever it is that Elijah and The Arabist do, and those are studying here because it’s a way to get a specific job (like learning arabic in order to join the State Department or be a more hireable regional journalist or doing their masters in Polisci/Islamic Studies/Forced migration/whatever that will get them that cushy job in an American Think Tank or NGO). They are usually very smart and have their whole life planned ahead of them, which is refreshing to encounter in a country like Egypt. They live in Zamalek/Garden City if they don’t have children and in Maadi if they do. They summer in Sharm Al Sheikh and el Gouna, their favorite drug is Life, the desire for success and Alcohol, and their favorite egyptian book is "Beer in the Snooker club" by Wagih Ghaly- that is if they read books written by Egyptians at all. They hang out at extravagant Zamalek parties and sometimes the Ace club, they work out in the CAC campus and they know what’s going on in Egypt more than the majority of Egyptians do, which is funny considering that they represent a tiny minority of foreigners here, especially compared to the "I am here to find myself" foreigner.

2) The "I am here to find myself" foreigner: Kind of self-explanatory, but let’s give it a shot anyway: Those are the foreigners who tell you that they come to Egypt as part of some journey "to find themselves", but in reality are just looking to put their lives on hold for a bit and not grow up and be responsible like their fellow friends back at wherever they came from. They are usually mid twenties to early thirties, and they come to Egypt as part of a regional spiritual trip or an exchange program, and kind of never leave, mainly due to how cheap living in Egypt is compared to their life back home and the fact that here they get to retain the kind of adolescent social life they have enjoyed so much in college. They either have random jobs that offer **** pay and for which they are totally under qualified with their B.A. in 18th century Southasian philosophy (Check Nile FM, the daily news, the Ibn Khaldoun Center) or they do as every other foreigner who needs a job in Egypt does and become stringers for obscure newspapers and random news agencies, who usually don’t require of you more than having the ability to write in half-decent English. Since they don’t make that much money, they live either in Mohandeseen/Agouza or in a houseboat in Kitkat, and they summer in Dahab and Nouiba3. They lead a very communal social life, with nights that boast events such as one of them coming back from a trip to Lebanon (of course) with lots of Alcohol or scoring a really good kind of Hash through their Bawab, and they will call each other and have a "gathering" whenever one of those life’s little victories rears its shiny little head. They are usually major drug-fiends, so their favorite drugs include whatever you got on you, and they don’t have a favorite egyptian book because they usually don’t read (Paulo Coleho and Dan Brown are notable exceptions), opting instead to downloading episodes of "The Office" and "Weeds" off of the internet and watching them high as a kite. They used to hang out at the Greek Club, but ever since their new minimum charge policy of 45 pounds a person got implemented they stick to Estorel and Stella Cafe, and if they show up at L’aubergine for example they will have one beer only, unless you are paying, and then you shall discover their love for whatever is the most expensive **** that bar carries. The "I am here to find myself" foreigner has no shame, mainly because they believe themselves to be children of the Universe and that the Universe owes them something. So they will at first surprise you by their habit to ask the Universe for whatever it is they need, and when that naturally fails they will further surprise you by asking you for whatever it is they need. But other than that they are very nice people, and they eventually leave after spending between 3 to 6 years of their life in Egypt (unless you happen to marry one of them, you stupid dumb sucker), which makes them a much better breed than the final type, the " I am Egyptian" foreigner.

3) The "I am Egyptian" foreigner: That would be the type that drives me up the freakin wall, the foreigner who comes to Egypt, claims to have fallen in love with the country and wants to stay here to fix it. They exhibit certain similar traits to the "I am here to find myself" foreigner, only their condition is slightly more extreme. They usually have serious identity issues ( especially if they come from the US and super especially if from the south), and need a purpose in their lives that will give their lives meaning and **** *** their parents (which is really their goal to begin with). They will go on diatribes about how this other foreigner you both know doesn’t get Egypt like he/she "gets Egypt", and they will have **** measuring contests over who loves Egypt more. True story: I once encountered two such creatures once, roommates, the first said that its true that if you drink from the Nile you have to come back, while the other countered that this is not true, because if you drink from the nile, you never really leave Egypt, cause you leave your heart there. I informed both of them that they are both wrong, because as an egyptian would tell you, if you drink from the nile, you will end up in the hospital, because that **** is super polluted. Anyway... Their favorite american author is naturally Noam Chomsky, their favorite topic of conversation is the different Zionist lobbies in Washington and they say Inshallah and habiby every 20 seconds. Where they live is a tricky proposition, since they do follow a certain migration pattern that is depended on how "egyptian" they’ve become. They start by living in Zamalek their first year here, and then they will move to Downtown the following, citing the fakneness of Zamalek and the cultural richness of Downtown as their reasons. Their third year they move to a Houseboat in Imbaba ( they will say Imbaba with the same pride reserved for being hardcore egyptians, as if Imbaba isn’t the area opposite of Seqouia), followed by a Bonus phase that not everybody takes of moving to Mukattam and discovering how awesome it is to take a Microbus to work(" Sure, I get sexually harassed and grabbed, but it only costs me 50 piasters for a ride. It’s awesome"), before finally setteling in Al Haram, either in a street off of Faysal, or if they are truly willing to go the distance to prove their egyptianness, Omraneya. Their favorite Egyptian Author is naturally Ahdaf Suweif, because they are retarded and they think her orientalist drivel is actual literature (Alaa, I know she is your Aunt and everything, so please please please get her an Editor. In the Eye of the Sun is needlessly 450 pages man. There are 200 pages of her talking about her make-up and removing her hair using Halawah. I am serious man, someone needed to say it!), they will claim that their favorite singer is of course Oum Kalthoum, even though they usually don’t understand what the hell she is saying, and their favorite hangout is the Ahwah (Shisha cafe) in front of their house if they are males and the houses of their middle-class Hijab-wearing egyptian housewife bestfriend if they are female. They rarely hang out with other foreigners- unless they are just like them, and even then it gets tense due to the aforementioned ****-measuring contests- and they would never be caught dead being seen in Zamalek or Maadi. Their favorite summer spot are Alexandria and Ain el Soukhnah, and they end up usually working as teachers in Language schools that just started a ******** but overpriced American Diploma program and they needed any foreigner who look like a teacher in order to seem legit to the parents of their students. You can also identify them through their facebook albums, because at some point in their lives they passed by Gaza and took pictures with smiling Palestinian children, which they will show you while naming the children and telling you anecdotes of how cute and smart they are and how they formed a connection and told him/her that they never want them to leave, in denial of the fact that they are just one of the 30,000 foreigners that passed by those kids that year alone, and that they probably forget all about him/her ever existing, let alone their names. Oh, and their favorite drug is HASH, of course, cause, really, what’s more Egyptian than that?

Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments section!

Source: http://www.agoravox.com/article.php3?id_article=8334

Nilegoddess

Post by Nilegoddess »

:lol: I loved this one and made interesting reading as to what they think of us for a change......hmm wonder which class I fall into.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I'm quite offended by that article, yes most locals know exactly how the foreigners are thinking and milk that for all its worth which isnt helped by things like middle aged women "falling in love" with the pretty boys but there are those rare few foreigners that have genuine reasons for wanting to move that don't fit these 3 categories.

Ooooh, the shoes on the other foot now eh? ;-)

Having said all that, the article was sharply observed and very well expressed.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Most of the expats I know wouldn't fall into any of those categories.
What about all the people here for the history or their health or both?
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

FABlux wrote:Most of the expats I know wouldn't fall into any of those categories.
What about all the people here for the history or their health or both?
I think it was well observed as I am usually ashamed about how people act when they are on holiday, yeah enjoy yourselves but for god's sake, have some self respect and respect for others!

And what gets me angry is that its usually women, young and old who conform to the stereotypical bad behaviour, sleep around etc so the locals DO expect us all to behave like that! And I am not saying that having that expection is right or anything like that but its hard to then change the minds of locals who see that type of behaviour constantly and then meet one girl or a few that are different.

Its not on!

And FABlux, totally agree, Egypt is so much more than just sunshine and the sea! x
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Just to play devils davocate here i thought i would re=read this article and ask " now that we have some new faces on the forums, what do you think of this article, i found it mildly offensive, he makes huge assumptions, but above all i found it comical :lol:
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Christine, you asked for a newbie’s view well here goes…

I’ve been reading about Egypt a lot, the history, religion, crime rates, economy and of course, the relationships.

Honestly??? To me, it sounds no different nor better or worse than any country in terms of the gender relations. People bang on about women getting conned…that happens all the time in every country around the world. What is termed ‘sex tourism’ in Egypt, is called ‘forced marriages’ in India and Pakistan to name a few. Young girls and boys are taken over on the pretence of a family holiday and forced into marrying strangers. Often the parents will clearly stipulate to their child that once the relative is over to the UK, they can divorce them and do what they want. Many foreign spouses have left their UK partners once they have attained a British passport, nationality or indefinite leave to remain so why only Egypt is considered to have con men in abundance is beyond me.

I’ve also seen comments aimed at the religious aspects of the country and the subjugating of women…well I have never been treated like a 2nd class citizen on my visits and before the cries of “you’re a tourist, they will be nice to you”, I’ve travelled a lot and to Muslim and non-Muslim countries and the hospitality in Egypt has been unparalleled and I’m not one of the many ladies that go over and sleep with anything in trousers.

That said, that’s THEIR CHOICE people! I’ve said it before and I wills ay it again, in my opinion, people can do what they want. It baffles me when people go on about guidebooks that should be issued at the airport etc…why?? Theres bad and good everywhere and the behaviour of a few does create an impression for the majority BUT do we really think that would solve the gigolo problem??

I think not. In my opinion, it’s the masses of older women getting into ‘orfi marriages’ with young men that’s the real problem. Especially when they are then spending their money and in some cases from what I understand, their retirement and income from selling up their homes. What this creates is an illusion in the mind of SOME Egyptian men that any foreign women can be used as a cash machine when that’s simply wrong.

I’m not going to use religion as an excuse nor defence as that’s not me at all, what bothers me though is the fact that it’s a belief and among the ex-pat community that we are somehow needed to regulate and educate the Egyptian men. Why?? This to me is offensive, unnecessary and smacks of an orientalist approach, ‘us’ the Westerners need to civilise ‘them’ and that’s unacceptable.

If a grown woman wants to spend her life savings on a young bloke and enjoy herself, fair enough but equally, if theres people around who wont stand for random men expecting them to fall head over heels in love with the first bloke to show interest in her and wants to be single and free then surely that’s just as acceptable too, whether in a Muslim country or not.

Any person should be strong enough to recognise the bad and good in others, yes conning someone for money is really very wrong but lets ask ourselves, these ladies (the majority are women) are grown up and have seen life, if they are naïve enough to spend their time and money on a 20 something who proclaims his love, will we ever be able to change their delusions??? Theres women here in the UK just as deluded!

The article IS comical and yes I’ve gone on a tangent but I simply don’t understand why we have so many sweeping generalisations for such a vastly diverse country such as Egypt. I think the article could be re-written for the UK from the point of view of a British person discussing the masses of migrants who stay on after their studies in the UK and baring a few slight differences, it would read much the same lol
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.