Diving, Hurghada, December 2009

Share your experiences, tips and advice of diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Netyoda

Diving, Hurghada, December 2009

Post by Netyoda »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Susue

Post by Susue »

Nice video, Lee....Carless and Turtle bay are among my favourite dive sites!!

turtle Bay was where I always took beginners.... a nice shallow site. with lots of stuff to see!

Did you dive when you were in Hurghada recently?
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hi Susue,

yes I had a couple of dives in December, that's where I took the video.

Turtle Bay was a bit of a dissapointment, plenty of nice fish but we ended up diving around it for an hour and it became a bit samey.
Susue

Post by Susue »

Aaaahhh... sorry.... didn't realise it was your video!

Did you go over the wall at Turtle bay.... or did you just stay in the first lagoon?
If you go over the wall, turn right, go for about 50m then back over the wall..... follow it to the end.... you come to a wonderful part with HUGE giant clams .... go even further, and you can often see a couple of eagle rays!

It takes about 40 min each way, so you have to be good with air.... but it's well worth it!
Kiya

Post by Kiya »

Lovely video Netyoda but not for me big scaredy cat that I am.............underwater & sharks swimming around :lol: I'll carry on watching your videos ;)
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hi Susue,

yes I went over the wall - you can see the stone arrow briefly in one of the clips. I'll bear your directions in mind next time I'm out there - I didn't get a chance for free swimming as I was just following the divemaster.

Lee
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Great video lee really makes me wish i could dive! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Love the video net and i was so looking forward for me and my girl to be doing this but under circumstances this will not be possible due to health issues ,anyway music is awsum and so vibrant fish and i bet the video does not do it justice.
i recently read somewhere the envirorment is getting anxious now for the amount of diving in the red sea causing for concern ie pollution upsettingthe fish the mating season and damage to the corals .they was going to downgrade the amount of people entering it and putting santions on this .
As I agree with this to a degree to preserve these beautifil sites and views ,i do feel as well we need to learn but to a proper order ,
how do u feel of this would u like more control on this ,because we wud not one for it to die off .
Example the dead sea is dying .

sorry for my way of writing and i cannot see good i am full of flu :( and streaming eyes
Image Image
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hi CB,

I'd say that noone is more concerned about the environmental impact to the ocean life than responsible divers, of which the vast majority are.

A lot of damage is done on the diving safaris, where it can be a bit like tourists in the Valley Of The Kings I except, dragging them around to the main attractions.

Some of the sites (eg. Giftun Island) now exact a daily tax for snorkelling or diving and this would appear to be the way forward, as long as that tax is put into enviromental husbandry to regenerate and preserve the coral reefs and fish life.

I don't believe the fish suffer due to diving, as you can see from the video, the turtle was completely unphased by our presence, however I have not seen any studies into what happens during the matig season. I can see how this could be a problem and would like to read more about it.

I'm not sure about the Dead Sea dying as there's no life in it apart from microbes.

The Red Sea certainly has taken a battering over the past few decades and this really does need to be addressed. When I stayed in Marsa Alam, the Three Corners Fayrouz hotel did not have a pier built and so access to the sea and reef was by clambering over the coral - obviously a very bad situation.

I'm very interested myself in the conservational aspects of diving and I am hoping, perhaps, to move into marine biology in the future, an childhood ambition that I thought was lost but may be available to me again.
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Netyoda wrote:Hi CB,

I'd say that noone is more concerned about the environmental impact to the ocean life than responsible divers, of which the vast majority are.

A lot of damage is done on the diving safaris, where it can be a bit like tourists in the Valley Of The Kings I except, dragging them around to the main attractions.

Some of the sites (eg. Giftun Island) now exact a daily tax for snorkelling or diving and this would appear to be the way forward, as long as that tax is put into enviromental husbandry to regenerate and preserve the coral reefs and fish life.

I don't believe the fish suffer due to diving, as you can see from the video, the turtle was completely unphased by our presence, however I have not seen any studies into what happens during the matig season. I can see how this could be a problem and would like to read more about it.

I'm not sure about the Dead Sea dying as there's no life in it apart from microbes.

The Red Sea certainly has taken a battering over the past few decades and this really does need to be addressed. When I stayed in Marsa Alam, the Three Corners Fayrouz hotel did not have a pier built and so access to the sea and reef was by clambering over the coral - obviously a very bad situation.

I'm very interested myself in the conservational aspects of diving and I am hoping, perhaps, to move into marine biology in the future, an childhood ambition that I thought was lost but may be available to me again.
thankyou for your reply i am happy to hear how you feel on this .
as a mother i want my children to enloy ever aspect of the world i grew up in ,at the same time to respect mother earth and her seeds ..

What i mean in the Dead Sea, Jordan. The water levels in the Dead Sea - the deepest point on Earth - are dropping at an alarming rate with serious environmental consequences.
this causes a lot of concern

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091514.htm

http://www1.aucegypt.edu/students/award ... amira.html
this lady i have had the pleasure of speaking too a wonderful and knowledgeble lady ..
Image Image