What should I look for?

Share your experiences, tips and advice of diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Annadongela

What should I look for?

Post by Annadongela »

Completely new to diving/snorkelling. Did snorkelling in Discovery Bay in Florida and that's it lol

If I stay in Sharm - what should I know about snorkelling? where, how, prices etc.

I guess there may even be a post that helps with this already, if someone wants to direct me!.

I'm not a big fan of deep water so would I be able to dive?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Your first dive won't be deep water, you're limited to a depth of 9m, but most of the beginner's dives are done off the beach on the house reefs so are usually less than that.

A PADI "Discover Scuba" course consisting of tuition and 2 dives runs to about 80 Euros I think, equipment included.

Snorkelling can be done right off the house reef in the hotel and is free if you have your own gear. Don't bother renting it if not, it's cheap enough to buy.

The boat snorkelling trips are excellent and good value. Dolphin House is particularly nice :D

If you do go diving, look for a PADI 5 Star centre, talk to some of the tourist divers there if you get a chance to get their opinion on the dive company.

Hope this helps.

Lee
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Thanks Lee - I think I should have just asked you all my questions! :oops:
Susue

Post by Susue »

Good advice from Lee!!
One thing I will add... if a dive centre offers you an 'intro dive' for a cheaper rate..... stay away!!
They're often done by unqualified divemasters..... on a "pack 'em in" basis..... not s good experience!
A good PADI dive centre will usually be much more stringent about safety standards.
they should take you in a pool or on a shallow beach before you go out into the sea on a boat.
As Lee says, a PADI 5-star centre is usually a good place to start.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Anna,

Susue is far more experienced in the diving arena than I, everything I know I learnt from her ;)

I'm heading back today, just off to Manchester now to get my flight to Sharm, so catch you all soon.

Lee x
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Thanks guys. To be honest, I consider deep water any time I can't put my feet on the floor!! :oops: Which may be a problem with diving lol.

Do you need wetsuits for snorkelling and or diving - what is the sea temperature like? I'll be going in 2 weeks time.

When I snorkelled in Discovery Cove in Florida, the salt content of the water was so high that it was really easy to float/swim - even my kids who can't really swim were able to swim without armbands - is the red sea similar? As I said I can swim, but am not a strong swimmer so don't wnat to find myself unable to cope.
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

I've booked!!!! Ooh I'm excited now!
Susue

Post by Susue »

Anna..... the Red Sea is the second saltiest sea in the world, after the Dead Sea.
It's a great sea for swimming and snorkelling.
depending when you're going depends on whether you'll need a wetsuit for snorkelling..... but you'll pretty well need a wetsuit for diving, whenever you go..... in summer you caNn get away with a shorty.... and before about May you'll need a full suit.
I've just noticed you're going in 2 weeks.... you'll definitely need a full suit..... if you're planning a dive, you can rent one from a dive centre, with all the other equipment.
Give diving a try...... you'll love it..... so much to see underwater! And you don't have to be a great swimmer.... you just have to be confident in the water!
Have a great holiday!
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

I'm an absolutely crap swimmer and the only fear I have in life is of deep water! so we're well matched on that!

If you do a Discover Scuba course you'll get a wetsuit and all the equipment thrown in with the price :D

Sea temperature's currently 23 degrees, you'll find it warm but a wetsuit is always advisable anyway to prevent chafing from the BCD and if you're underwater for a long time you will start to feel the cold

Get your bum out here asap :D
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Thanks Lee!

Your info is really helpful. I am deffo getting excited. I'm sad that I'm not going to Luxor but it's time I tried something new.

I've got my own cheap snorkel gear which I will bring out and I will try to be brave and give diving a go!
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Are you staying in Sharm the whole time?

If you've booked I guess I don't need to do a hotel review ;)

Give me a call when you get here if you have any questions - I'll pm my mobile to you soon.

Lee x
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

I'd still like to know what I'm going to!! Need to know the pool is back to water colour instead of the brown sludge it was after the storm!

That'd be great, thanks!
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

I'll try and get over there tomorrow then, before I head home
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Aww bless ya! Didn't realise you were only there 2 days! Don't be daft - it'll have to be fine - I'm booked now!
Wellheld

Post by Wellheld »

If you're not happy snorkelling in deep water, use a life vest, loads of snorkellers do. You say you have a cheap snorkel set. I think you'll enjoy it more with a good set, non leaky silicone mask and a snorkel that will not let water in if you dive down, you can get one with a valve on. Having good equipment made a huge difference to my enjoyment of snorkelling. My snorkel was 99le, you can get a pretty good mask for similar. Don't forget the t-shirt to avoid a sunburned back.
Diving, the issue of not being able to touch the bottom goes away, you can breathe underwater. The instructor will take you down slowly, if you are uncomfortable you simply come back up, or stay few metres down until you feel better. If you are lucky you will be so entranced by what you can see, you'll forget you thought it was going to be difficult. Everything about the dive and the equipment should have been explained to you along with some simple hand signals so you can communicate. The instructor will keep checking that you are ok, so you can relax and enjoy the view. Definately worth at least one go.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Great explanation Wellheld, and good equipment does make a lot of difference to the experience.

Diving is the nearest thing we can come to flying - and we'd all love to do that :D
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Wow Thanks wellheld - sounds awesome!

My gear was that which I liberated from discovery cove. I know the snorkel doesn't have a valve on it but then it didn't need to and I don't know that I would dare go under without having air anyway. But thanks, it's worth knowing. I'm definitely felling brave and my mate is well up for it!
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Gosh the forum is quiet!! I'm coming out again in a few weeks but this time bringing my family. I wasn't brave enough to do the diving last time but the snorkelling was amazing and I took to it like a duck to water - I musthave been a fish in a previous life lol!! Anyway, definitelyf ancy the diving this time as we are out for 2 weeks. How old do kids have to be to dive? Both me and hubby would love to do it but we may have to take it in turns as I'm not sure the kids are old enough to dive and I don't fancy leaving them on a boat!
Susue

Post by Susue »

Under PADI rules, a kid has to be 10 to dive in the sea. Thay can do a pool dive from 8.... but not sea.
There will be disreputable dive centers that will taks a child under 10, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, as the child will be totally uninsured.
Give diving a try.... if you took to snorkelling, you'll love being underwater amid the action!! :)
Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

Thanks Susue - youngest is 10 so that should be great!

Excited all over again! :)