Dolphins

Share your experiences, tips and advice of diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Dolphins

Post by Hurghada Lady »

The last twice I have been out on a boat, we have seen many, many pods of dolphins, is there certain times of the year that they are here in abundance? Both times has been around 6pm.

BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Fran and I will be watching this one with interest :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Spike

Post by Spike »

[glow=black]One of the best sites to see Dolphins in Hurghada is Shaab El Erg West tip.[/glow]

Sha'ab El Erg is a huge horseshoe shaped reef located north of Hurghada, with the open end of the horseshoe facing due south. You are unlikely to dive this site from Hurghada's day boats as it is too far north and there are more prolific dive sites nearer to shore. However i have dived this numerous times with Emperor Divers as their location is better placed to dive this site. This site is used primarily by safari boats as a night dive spot or a spot to allow new groups of divers at the start of their trip to get familiar with the environment in a sheltered spot.

Whilst this reef doesn't boast some of the Red Sea's best diving, don't write it off. The West Tip is where many divers have seen a pod of around twenty dolphins.

[glow=red]"As I rounded the West Tip with a disabled diver I had been finning for, she suddenly went rigid and started pointing; as I turned to look north a pod of large bottle nose dolphins, in perfect formation, came in for a few passes and then were gone. An amazing sight."[/glow]

[glow=red]"During our dive time at least twenty five bottle nosed dolphins were dancing around us. Their dance and lingering in the water was so fantastic, something that we had never experienced personally before. They were so curious we were not sure who enjoyed this meeting better! Their dynamic swimming and their attitude was more graceful than we could ever feel and see."[/glow]

[glow=red]"You can swin around the island, visiting the lagoon. Depending on the current you either start through the channel, or end up leaving the channel at the end of the dive. In the channel chances are dolphins swim right pass you at tremendous speed, they are just magnificent. Turtles are also at the deep end of the channel"[/glow]

There are no specific times that dolphin are spotted, as they never sleep fully, only half of their brain sleeps as they need to stay awake for pradators and to keep water movement over the blowhole to sustain breathing. Most dive sightings are on daylight hour dive's however as a diver i have not seen many surface sightings of Dolphins, however when i go on a night boat i and many others have spotted lots of pods. With any Marine life, it is the luck of the draw unfortunately!
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

We were once on a boat off marsa alam and saw quite a few dolphins there :)
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Ahhh you are so lucky. I have never seen any when I have been out on the many boat trips.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I think more boat trips are in need then Queenie!

They are such an amazing site, I dive and have not seen as many as you would expect, but the most amazing thing is when they are swimming at the front of the boat as you sail. I was in Kenya once on a small Rib boat going to a dive site, we saw dolphins right next to the rib, donned our mask, fins and snorkel and jumped in with them, my partner facing me asked where they was and with that a dolphin just arched a foot behind him...absolutely amazing!

Has anyone else had a close encounter like this with them?
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I have kissed one!!!!!!!!!! and have the photo.;)
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

I think proof is required :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

OK BBLUX, I will scan the photo and be back!!!!!;)
Dolphindiver

Dolphins

Post by Dolphindiver »

In reply to Hurghadalady, it seems that during the day dolphins rest and playin a few areas around Hurghada two of the most popular places are Shaab El Erg in the north almost opposite El Gouna and Fanous West which is a lagoon area just north of Giftun Island. Early evening from what little I know is when the dolphins will then start moving out to sea to hunt and feed. So when Hurghadalady has seen the around 6pm they will be moving out for dinner. As for the best time of year it seems that summer is best as this year from about May through to October there have been a lot of dolphins around, some even in the Port area. Today 6/11/08 we saw some dolphins off Giftun Island about 5pm. Hope this helps. Of course the best way to see them is to swim with them, then you get to see how graceful they are and how BIG, but with a lovely smile.
Spike

Dolphins in Hurghada

Post by Spike »

Bottlenose dolphin sightings have been an almost daily occurrence at Emperor Hurghada.

In addition to the pods that are regularly spotted at Sha'ab El Erg and near to Shedwan Island, a family group is now often found on the popular local reef at Fanous. This is a classic dolphin habitat with its crescent-shaped reef providing a sheltered area from the prevailing northerly wind, waves and current but with easy access to the feeding grounds to the north.

The Bottlenose Dolphin is one of the most common dolphins in the Red Sea – and also one of the friendliest! Local specimens normally grow to a maximum length of around two metres, although in colder waters they have been measured at more than four metres.

They are typically found in groups of about 15 individuals, and this is the case at Fanous, where the family group often tags along with the divers under the water – giving plenty of time for a quick head count! The Bottlenose Dolphin is commonly known for its friendly character and curiosity towards humans. Occasionally, dolphins have rescued injured divers by raising them to the surface, a behaviour they also show towards injured members of their own species, although luckily so far no one here has had to experience this first hand!

The Bottlenose Dolphin typically rises to the surface to breathe two or three times per minute although it can hold its breath for up to 20 minutes. Dolphins sleep for about eight hours a day, in periods ranging from a few minutes to several hours. While they are sleeping dolphins stay near the surface swimming slowly, occasionally closing one eye.

The name Bottlenose is a bit of a misnomer as the rostrum (its beak like snout) is simply part of its mouth and its nose is actually the blowhole on top of its head!
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

BBLUX wrote:I think proof is required :)
Ok Barry, have now scanned the photos so here's the proof ;)

I just wanted to take him home with me and put him in the bath! When I was stroking him under the throat, he fept like velvet, so soft.

Here is another that I just had to hold and he also felt so soft, bless !

Spike

Post by Spike »

What lengh's you go to hey,

Plastic dolphins in your swimming pool... :lol:
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

What do you mean Spike, plastic??? It took me a couple of hours to persuade the manager there to let my brother and myself in to touch the Dolphins, I had all excuses for him, I said it was my brothers birthday and my grandmother had always wanted to be able to touch one (she was in a wheelchair with us), he finally agreed and as you can see, no sign of grandma, I left her outside because I couldn't get the wheelchair up the steps !!! :oops:
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Im so jealous HL I have always wanted to get that tlcose to Dolphins there beautiful intelligent ceratures.Maybe when Im in Marsa Alam ~ :oops:
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I went to Marsa Alum about 5 years ago, to Dolphin House, I can't remember how much it was but it was expensive. When we got to Dolphin House we could snorkel into the area where the dolphins were but there was a rope across, so we couldn't go to them, they had to come to you. We couldn't really see them except for their fins now and again and of course they didn't come near us. It was a very disappointing day in all.

I hope if you go Karen, you have better luck than we did.
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I will let you know ~ Im on countdown now 4 weeks today!!! It cant come quick enough although I still would have prefered going to Hughada as maybe Marsa Alam will be a little to chill out for my mother in law! :)
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Can't you come to Hurghada for a couple of days to break it up?
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

When my daughter was over I arranged a trip to Mahmaya. We left just after 9 in the morning and were lucky enough to have a pod of dolphins swim alongside us. There were about 6 adults and 2 calves.

Absolutely magical except for this stupid woman who was hanging over the side of the boat clapping her hands! I wonder if she had ever been to Disneyland. :mrgreen:
A day without Sunshine is like a night without Stars.
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

HL thats a good idea I might try to arrange that for us. Otherwise hopefully the dolphins will make up for it :)